Early this morning, AirAsia executives confirmed search and rescue assets had located debris from QZ8501, and recovery operations were underway. The debris and other items were spotted in the Karimata Strait, approximately 110 miles southwest of Pangkalanbuun.
Here is a recap of the initial incident:
On 28 December at 00:24 UTC, an Indonesia AirAsia flight operating as QZ8501 lost contact with Air Traffic Control (ATC). The flight was enroute from Surabaya, Indonesia to Changi Airport in Singapore.
- Aircraft type: Airbus A320-200
- Registration: PK-AXC
- Captain has 6,100 flight hours in the A320
- First Officer has 2,275 flight hours in the A320
- 155 passengers and 7 crew members
- Aircraft was still under the control of Indonesian ATC
The Fighter Sweep team would like to extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of all involved.
(Featured Photo ©WikiMedia–All Rights Reserved)